- Beat butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat until sugar has dissolved and batter is smooth.
- Stir baking powder and baking soda into 2 cups flour and add to batter.
- Add the remaining ingredients, but do not add all the remaining flour at once.
- When you get a soft, elastic dough that doesn’t stick
- to your fingers, stop adding flour.
- You may not use all the flour.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Take heaping tablespoonsful of dough, roll in sesame seeds (if desired), and form into S or O shapes.
- Place cookies onto prepared baking sheet.
- Beat 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush over cookies.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and, if you did not use the sesame seeds, roll cookies in powdered sugar while still warm.
Source: GREEK-RECIPE yahoo group
- 1-1/2 cups butter
- 6 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pounds all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds or 1 cup powdered sugar