Rooster in wine and tomato sauce
- Wash the rooster, remove giblets and cut in 6 pieces.
- Chop the onions finely and roast them in a large saucepan.
- Add the wine to finish roasting and then pour the olive oil and the tomato mash and stir.
- Add the rooster portions, salt, pepper, cinnamon, bay leaf, 1 glass of water and let the rooster cook in low heat for at least an hour. It might require more than an hour if the rooster is very fresh.
- Check at regular intervals and add water if more is required.
- When rooster is cooked remove from the saucepan and place in a plate. The sauce which has remained in the saucepan should be thick and only the oil should should remain (the water should have evaporated).
- Keep the sauce to pour on top of the thick macaroni, rice or fried potatoes and garnish with the cheese.
- 1 medium sized rooster
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 teacup red wine
- Tomato mash of 4-5 fresh tomatoes (or 1 tin preserved tomatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Grated mitzithra or ricotta cheese