- Start by making the syrup. Put the honey, sugar, cinnamon, clove, and lemon zest in a saucepan and add the water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add the lemon juice, then chill.
- To blanch the almonds, plunge them into boiling water for 1-2 minutes, until you see signs of their skins loosening. Then drain and slip or pop them from their skins onto a baking sheet. Toast them in an oven preheated to 350 F for about 10 minutes – just until they begin to color. Cool, then chop them very, very finely – if you do this in a food processor, make sure that the pulses are short, or the nuts could turn oily.
- Mix the ground almonds with the sugar and cinnamon and reserve.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Put the olive oil and sugar in a large bowl and beat together or with a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the Cognac, the orange zest, spices, and juice from 2 oranges (about 1/2 cup).
- Then beat in the flour, a few spoonfuls at a time, until you have a malleable dough, adding more flour if it is too soft, and more orange juice if it is too stiff.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until very smooth.
- Pinch off pieces of dough of about 2 tablespons and form into flattened oval or lozenge shapes.
- Place them on an oiled or non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 400-425 F for about 20 minutes, until brown.
- When they are cool enough to handle, dip them in the bowl of syrup for about 1 minute.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a tray to cool.
- Sprinkle with the chopped almond mixture.
- 7 cup of All-purpose unbleached flour
- Extra flour for kneading
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 3/4 cup of Mild olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup of Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Cognac -OR- mavrothaphne wine -OR- ruby port
- 3 Oranges; zested and juiced
- 4 teaspoon of Freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Freshly ground clove
- 3/4 teaspoon of Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound of Honey; (1 lb = about 2 cups)
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1 1-inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 Clove
- 1 Lemon; zested and juiced
- 1 cup of Water
- 1/2 cup of Shelled almonds
- 1 tablespoon of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Freshly ground cinnamon