Greek Easter Cookies from Smyrna
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add 4 egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add milk and flour.
- Work with the hands until dough is smooth.
- Add grated orange rind.
- Dough should be stiff so add additional flour if needed.
- Break off small portions of dough and roll out into pencil-size strips about 11 inches long. Fold each strip into thirds, sideways, and press lightly together at ends.
- Place cookies on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 18 to 20 minutes.
- 2 cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup milk or orange juice
- 8 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 egg