Easter Midnight Soup
- Rinse all the meat. Turn the intestines inside out with the help of a thin stick and rinse them thoroughly. Rub them with salt and lemon juice and rinse them again. Cube them into small portions.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions in the butter, until they start to change color. Add the chopped intestines, liver, lights and heart, fry together for a few minutes, stirring. Add the shredded lettuces and all the fresh herbs and sautee for a few more minutes.
- Add the hot water, and seasoning, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Then add the rice and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes, before proceeding with the avgolemono sauce.
- Add the Avgolemono Sauce to the soup, stirring.
- Return to a very gentle heat for 2 minutes, stirring at the same time. It should be by now a quite a thick soup.
- a lamb’s liver, heart, lights and intestines
- juice of 3 lemons
- 6 spring onions, trimmed, rinsed and finely sliced
- 25 gr. butter
- 2 cos lettuces, trimmed, shredded and rinsed carefully (use only their young leaves and hearts)
- about a teacupful of fresh dill or fennel, rinsed and finely chopped, or parsley
- 1.2 lt hot water
- salt and black pepper
- 60 grams rice
- 2 eggs
- juice of 2 lemons