- Clean the chicken well and remove any unnecessary giblets. Cut in at least 4 pieces (ask the butcher to cut it).
- Put it in a deep pan, add as much water is needed to cover it and boil it. When it starts boiling skim the fat off the soup and add the onions (chopped) and the olive oil.
- Leave the chicken to boil for an hour. Check that the chicken is coming apart easily. If not, boil it for more minutes (the boiling hour depends on how fresh the chicken is).
- Remove the chicken from the deep pan and put it on a plate.
- Boil the rice on the water you used to boil the chicken.
- While the soup is boiling, remove all the bones from the chicken. Add the clean parts of the chicken on the soup, salt and pepper. Serve the soup when the rice is ready.
- Chicken soup can also be served with egg and lemon sauce (avgolemono).
- One medium chicken
- 3 onions
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of rice