- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first four ingredients together for filling. Combine syrup ingredients and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns syrupy. Set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick before using.
- Unfold phyllo. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut phyllo sheets crosswise, into thirds.
- Cover phyllo not being used with a barely damp towel.
- Using two pieces of phyllo – phyllo sheets are so thin they must be doubled – and keeping narrow ends towards you, brush with butter.
- Place 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons filling 1/4 inch from end nearest you, to within 1/4 inch of sides.
- Fold long sides in 1/4 inch.
- Fold over bottom to cover filling.
- Place a clean pencil on top of fold and roll into a cigar-like cylinder.
- Push both ends toward center and remove pencil.
- Place roll on cookie sheet and generously brush with butter.
- Repeat with remaining filling and phyllo.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Dip hot rolls into cooled syrup – kitchen tongs work well for this.
- Place onto a platter to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate. Can be frozen.
- 1/2 lb Walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tb Sugar
- 1/2 ts Cinnamon
- 1/8 ts Ground Cloves
- 1 lb Phyllo Dough
- 3/4 lb Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 1/2 c Water
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 2 ts Lemon Juice
- 1/2 c Honey